Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Halloween: Trick or treat?

I have a little mixed emotions about Halloween. I like it in the aspect that it is fun to dress up and pretend and see you neighbors and get candy, but I HATE the ghosts and goblins and nasty things associated with Halloween. Yard decorating is really big here. There is a house down the street that has a ton of "decorations" including a life size Frankenstein holding a bloody ax and the bloody head of his wife. BLECH! I hate it. My friend lives across the street from someone who has a stuffed person hanging from the tree. What good it this! NOTHING! We already have tons of candy (that I plan on giving to our trick or treaters.) We actually go the Thursday before Halloween (tomorrow) to curb violence.

Here is a little history of the commercialization of Halloween. The commercialization of Halloween in the United States did not start until the 20th century, beginning perhaps with Halloween postcards (featuring hundreds of designs) which were most popular between 1905 and 1915.[14] Dennison Manufacturing Company, which published its first Halloween catalog in 1909, and the Beistle Company were pioneers in commercially made Halloween decorations, particularly die-cut paper items.[15][16] German manufacturers specialised in Halloween figurines that were exported to the United States in the period between the two world wars.
There is little primary documentation of masking or costuming on Halloween in the United States or elsewhere, prior to 1900.[17] Mass-produced Halloween costumes did not appear in stores until the 1930s, and trick-or-treating did not become a fixture of the holiday until the 1950s.
In the United States, Halloween has become the sixth most profitable holiday (after Christmas, Mother's Day, Valentines Day, Easter, and Father's Day).[18] In the 1990s, many manufacturers began producing a larger variety of Halloween yard decorations; prior to this a majority of decorations were homemade. Some of the most popular yard decorations are jack-o'-lanterns, scarecrows, witches, orange and purple string lights, inflatable decorations (such as spiders, pumpkins, mummies and vampires), and animatronic window and door decorations. Other popular decorations are foam tombstones and gargoyles. Halloween is now the United States' second most popular holiday (after Christmas) for decorating; the sale of candy and costumes are also extremely common during the holiday, which is marketed to children and adults alike. According to the National Retail Federation, the most popular Halloween costume themes for adults are, in order: witch, pirate, vampire, cat and clown.[19] On many college campuses, Halloween is a major celebration, with the Friday and Saturday nearest October 31 hosting many costume parties.
Universal's Halloween Horror Nights is one of the largest and most elaborate Halloween events in the world. The month-long event takes place at Universal Studios theme parks in Florida and Hollywood.
The National Confectioners Association reported, in 2005, that 80 percent of American adults planned to give out candy to trick-or-treaters,[20] and that 93 percent of children planned to go trick-or-treating.[21]

So what do you think...Trick or Treat?

5 comments:

nicole said...

I've never been a huge halloween fan because my family just wasn't in to it much. I do like the fun of the kids costumes but I HATE all the other stuff. I think its tacky and just an excuse to throw more violence, horror and smut(through the women's costumes) out there. I hate all the nasty Halloween movies that come out and are advertised. All of this just before the beginning of the rest of the "holiday season" i.e. Thanksgiving and Christmas sets a horrible stage. I hate that something that could be innocent and fun(kids with fun costumes and parties) has become something deplorable. I'm thinking of handing out something other than candy this year but I don't know what yet. Sorry that was a bit of a rant. That being said we will still probably participate in a bunch of halloween festivities. But if I were the tricking kind I might just sneak into people's yards and make their ugly tacky decorations vanish into the nearest dumpster.

lauren said...

Since my mom calls me Scrooge at Christmas you can imagine my need for this holiday - don't have one. Although I will admit I have no problems with eating the CANDY my kids get. :)

Juls said...

yea, I have had 3 mini bags of reeces pieces today!

CACKEL said...

I saw martha's interior halloween decorations in her magazine, and they totally freaked me out--pieces of a skeleton spray painted gold with glitter. the theme was supposed to macabre but dazzling, or something like that, but they all looked so disgusting. she had chopped off skeletal hands (covered in glitter) on her dinner plates. yikes, and not in a good way.

Juls said...

BLAH! martha, martha, martha